From:
John Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1993 13:00:14 PDT
> From: "David F. Delchamps" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      championship game
>
>         Now for a couple of questions.  First of all, about that corssbar
> shot in the final minute ... I've played my tape over and over again, and
> it still looks to me as if the puck went in.  It disappeared behind the
> crossbar, or seemed to .... after the game, Jeff Jackson said something
> like, "We thought that one shot was `in,' but I guess it wasn't."  Hmmm ...
> I guess since we haven't heard anything about it from the Lake State fans
> on the list, everyone feels it was definitely a non-goal.

I had to watch that whole sequence where the LSSU player moved across
the slot, forced Snow down, deked the defenseman and then shot, using
frame advance on my VCR.  In real time I was sure it had to go in, and
even in slow speed I wasn't sure that it didn't, but in frame advance,
there was no time that the puck wasn't visible.  It was definitely a
correct call.  I think Jeff Jackson's comment was based on the awesome
move in the slot that led to a point-blank open net shot.  The shooter
was obviously going to go top shelf to avoid Snow, but just got a
little too much adrenaline into it.

-John Hughes
Amdahl/Advanced Systems
Fremont, CA