From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1992 15:11:35 CDT
Yesterday's Minnesota Daily had a preview of the WCHA race which I thought
I'd post to the list.  Also, in today's Daily there was an article about
memories of the old Mariucci Arena.  I've got a file with that, too, if
people are interested, although I didn't think it'd be of general interest
to the list.  Email me for a copy.

Pam
Go Gophers!!!

Here's the article:

Headline: WCHA coaches pick U to win title
Publish Date: 10/20/1992

.RM288PT/By Patty Hegre

Staff Reporter

For years, the Gophers have been regarded as one of the top teams in
one of the nation's most prestigious hockey conferences. Some things
never seem to change.

The Gophers captured the WCHA title with a 26-6 conference record
last season and have been picked by seven WCHA coaches to accomplish
the feat again this season.

``We don't have as many returning lettermen as in the past so we're
going to be a little young,'' Gopher coach Doug Woog said. ``We lost
three defenders so we have some holes to fill.''

On the blueline, the defensive core of Travis Richards, Eric Means
and Chris McAlpine will be aided by five talented rookies vying for
ice time. Last year, the team gave up a league-low 89 goals.

Offensively, Craig Johnson, Darby Hendrickson and Scott Bell may be
one of the best combinations in the nation. Last year, the trio's
combined points totaled 166 of 419 for the Gophers.

Tom Newman is regarded as the Gophers' top man in goal, although
sophomore Jeff Callinan and freshman Jeff Moen are legitimate
contenders for the position.

Wisconsin

19-11-2 in 1991-92

Head coach: Jeff Sauer

A powerhouse in their own right, the NCAA runner-up Badgers are led
by 17 returning lettermen, including their top five scorers from last
year.

Jason Zent, Dan Plante and Blaine Moore headline a deep offensive
bench.

Barry Richter is among six returning to Wisconsin's blue line, while
24-year-old Ulvis Katlaps of Latvia is expected to contribute
immediately. Senior goaltender Jon Michelizzi, of Duluth Denfeld,
will compete with highly touted freshman Jim Carey for playing time.

``There is extra pressure for us to get to Milwaukee this year for
the NCAA Championships,'' Sauer said. ``It's already sold out and a
lot of people are counting on us to be there.''

Northern Michigan

17-12-3

Rick Comley

The Wildcats won the WCHA playoffs last season but will dress 15
freshmen and sophomores this season.

``This is a reloading time for us,'' Comley said. ``We had a great
four-year run but we've lost 16 players in two years. Thirteen of
those players are still playing in the NHL, which tells the caliber
of players we've had here.''

Northern Michigan will be thin on the front line after losing five
forwards including Dallas Drake and Jim Hiller. NMU's defensive line
is also young and goalie Corwin Saurdiff will play a key role during
the upcoming season.

Michigan Tech

14-17-1

Bob Mancini

All-American defensive candidates John Young, Jim Storm and a veteran
defense are expected to lead the Huskies this year. The success of
this unit will weigh heavily upon the team's fortunes for this
season.

``We want to keep going forward, so I don't see this as a transition
year,'' said Mancini, in his first year with the Huskies. ``I'm not
really concerned about the other teams in the WCHA right now, I'm
more concerned with the team we put on the ice.''

Minnesota-Duluth

14-16-2

Mike Sertich

A veteran group of 20 returning lettermen will solidify a team
expected to finish a strong third this season.

``I'm juggling the lines and trying to pair Derek Plante with the
right combination right now,'' Sertich said. ``I tried to make a
trade with the Gophers over the summer for Johnson and Hendrickson
but they weren't interested.''

Plante led the Bulldogs with 27 goals and 36 assists last season and
is considered one of the top collegiate players.

St. Cloud State

12-19-1

Craig Dahl

Nine freshmen and 11 sophomores will aid St. Cloud this season, as
the Huskies struggle to establish themselves among the WCHA ranks.

While a number of questions remain, Grant Sjerven and Neil Cooper
will compete for time in goal.

``Obviously our goal is to get to St. Paul for the playoffs,'' Dahl
said, ``but I don't know how realistic that is with such a young
team.''

North Dakota

12-19-1

Gino Gasparini

Senior forward Greg Johnson, who could end his collegiate career as
the all-time leading scorer in NDU history, leads the team's offense
this season. Defensively, the Fighting Sioux gave up a league-leading
172 goals last season.

``We've got a lot of new names and faces so in many ways for me it
feels like stepping on the ice in 1978 and starting all over again,''
Gasparini said. ``Last year North Dakota was a team that could put
the puck in the net but we couldn't keep the puck out of the net too
well.''

Colorado College

14-14-4

Brad Buetow

Buteow hasn't coached since he was suspended last month for NCAA
violations but is sure that his team will be competitive this season.

``We're somewhat younger this year but we stayed healthy and snuck up
on some people last year,'' Buetow said. ``Our success last year has
built our confidence and I think that we will be a more creative and
composed offensive team.''

Denver

8-22-2

Frank Serratore

The Pioneers finished in the WCHA cellar last year but are bringing
in a talented freshman class to bolster the team.

``This year we have been able to sprinkle a few veterans with
youth,'' Serratore said. ``We're coming off a year with lots of
injuries but our upperclass is big and strong. On the whole the team
is more mature.''