From:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 1992 08:16:29 CST
Quoted from the Minneapolis Star Tribune, 10-1-92:

  A proposal by Mankato State University to upgrade its hockey program to
  NCAA Division I from Division III was rejected Wednesday by the Minnesota
  State University Board.  The decision followed the recommendation of
  Edward R McMahon, vice chancellor for finance.

  McMahon outlined several concerns, including the lack of a written
  agreement outlining financial support over the first five years of
  Division I competition, the lack of a contract with the city of Mankato
  regarding financial arrangements and the fact that the viability of the
  hockey budget would be highly dependent on gate receipts and gift revenues.

  The decision surprised Mankato State hockey coach Don Brose.  "It's a
  mystery to me, and it certainly came out of the blue," he said.  "We
  had announced last January that we were going to Division I and as late
  as last July, it was my understanding that everything was in order."

  Mankato State had sought Division I status after recent NCAA legislation
  prohibited a school in one division from "playing down" to another
  division.

  Mankato State is in Division II in all sports except hockey, but only 10
  other schools in the country (and only Bemidji State in Minnesota)
  currently play Division II hockey.

  Mankato State would have only one other team to play in the immediate
  area, so the Mavericks decided to go to Division I.

  %%%%% end of quoted material %%%%%%%%%%%%