From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 1993 23:08:43 EST
Ryan writes:
>     In a game Maine coach Shawn Walsh probably would rather have
>played Lake Superior, Patrice Tardif had a hat track and Eric
>Fenton had two goals and two assists to lead Maine to a 12-4 win
>over Brown in the championship game of the Dexter Hockey Classic,
>at Harold Alfond Sports Arena on the University of Maine campus in
>Orono.

We were talking about this on the air, and I suggested that Walsh might
have been happier facing Brown than LSSU in the final.  If they had beaten
LSSU to win the Dexter Classic and then met the Lakers in the NC$$s, well,
it's difficult to beat a team three times in a season.  It might have been
an easier win, seeing the result of tonight's game, but since Maine is off
for about two weeks now anyway, whether they played Brown or LSSU probably
would not have made that much of a difference by the time they got ready to
face Clarkson.

>     The Dexter championship is the fourth tournament Maine has won
>this year.

This is another record that isn't normally kept, but I don't know of any
other team that has won four regular season tournaments in one year.

Maine has now won the Dexter Classic five of the six times it has been
played.  Bowling Green defeated Maine 6-5 to take the first Classic.
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)    *HMN*