From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 1991 15:30:27 EST
I know I'm not a coach, but I can speak about incidents I've known to occur,
and in every one the players involved were not suspended until due process
was accorded them - a legal determination of their guilt or innocence.  A
clear example of this is taking place right now with SLU and Mike Lappin,
and that's how I think it should be.

However, there is also the problem of the fact that just by having the
incident occur, Coach Thomaris may be upset with the negative publicity
brought upon the program, and I'd like to think that was the reason for
the suspension - not his own private determination of whether the players
were guilty or not.

From what Mark says, the "witnesses" involved may never show up to testify,
and the two players who claimed their innocence may be found just that.  If
so, it is disappointing that their coach chose not to believe their story,
especially when one of them who did plead guilty backed the other two up.
They may be tainted just by virtue of the fact that they were in the wrong
place at the wrong time.  This shouldn't happen to them.  I hope the truth
will come out and that if it does back up the other two, they will receive
some sort of apology from their coach and Elmira.

p.s. one other Tuesday score: Army 12, Villanova 5.
---
Mike Machnik        [log in to unmask]       [log in to unmask]