Sender:
From:
Bri Farenell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 1994 16:00:57 -0500
>I didn't see the coverage, but if it's true then we, as a group, have to
>let ESPN know we appreciate it.  (Does anyone have an address for ESPN?
>Somewhere in Bristol, CT, I think).  We can't rely on the NC$$ to push our
>sport, we've got to help it along ourselves.  That means complaining to TV
>stations, papers, and radio stations that the public wants more college
>hockey!!!  Just 'cause the NHL took decades to market themselves properly
>doesn't mean we have to too!  (Besides, we've got a more exciting product)

I wrote to ESPN last year or earlier this year asking them to at least
mention college hockey. Told them that it would be real easy for them to
slip in AT LEAST scores while they're going to commerical, if nothing
else. Got a response from a PR person saying my comments would be
"forwarded to the managing editor."

Gave CNN a call, again, earlier this year, asking them to put college
hockey scores in their sports ticker thing. They said, "it would be
brought up at the next meeting."

>CBS, as part of a deal with the NC$$, has shown the NC$$ champioship in
>many sports.  (I've been told the network HAD to do this in exchange for
>the BBall rights).  Volleyball, gymnastics, swimming (as an ex-competitive
>swimmer AND coach, I don't mind this) and other "niche" sports, but never
>hockey.  Maybe someday?

Interesting. I know that the only reason ESPN is doing the college hockey
finals is because they have to show at least one contest in every sport
if they want to do basketball and football. I'm surprised there isn't the
same "restriction" placed on CBS.

Bri Farenell                                     Clarkson '95
[log in to unmask]                 Glens Falls High '91
AHL and NCAA contact for rec.sport.hockey        Go Erin Whitten (GFH '89)!
Bri's (pre-tournament) Hoops Finals Pick: Arizona over Florida
Bri's (pre-tournament) Hockey Finals Pick: Lake Superior St. over BU
U OF A!   ARIZONA ALL THE WAY!   RIP THE RAZORBACKS!  (Aaron Ward sucks)