From:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1992 15:21:43 CST
Quoted from the Minnesota Daily, 10/21/92:
Publish Date: 10/21/1992
By Patty Hegre

Staff Reporter

From his childhood perch in section 22A, Gopher hockey coach Doug
Woog had only dreamed of playing in Williams Arena, which was later
renamed Mariucci Arena.

``I remember skating outside all day 'til my ears were blistered,
then coming here to see a game,'' Woog recalled. ``There were no pros
to watch and those guys were our idols. I never dreamed that I'd be
out there.''

For 42 years, Mariucci Arena has been a breeding ground for hockey
talent, producing 53 Olympians, 64 professionals and 69 U.S. National
Team players.

In addition, 26 first-team All-Americans and two Hobey Baker Award
winners are products of the tradition that has built ``Minnesota's
Pride on Ice.''

``I can still see them when I sit here,'' said Woog, an All-America
center at Minnesota in 1965. ``John Mayasich and Ken Yackel, I can
even see Jack McCartan making a save.''

That was in the 1950s, when an indoor rink was a luxury, when a dozen
brooms did the work of one Zamboni, when jerseys were called sweaters
and when John Mariucci stood behind the Gopher bench.

Mariucci, ``The Godfather of Minnesota Hockey,'' is a legendary
player and coach for whom the arena was renamed in 1985. The legacy
of his contributions to the statewide success of hockey should live
on in the new arena bearing his name.

``The Mariucci name is synonymous with good hockey in Minnesota,''
said Scott Ellison, manager of Williams and Mariucci Arenas. ``A lot
of the growth in Minnesota hockey is attributed to him and the
renaming of the arena reflects that.''

From its honorary name to the original wooden benches, which have
been repainted over the years, the arena is a priceless collection of
Minnesota hockey tradition.

The arena was designed by two University graduates as a multipurpose
fieldhouse and the original Williams Arena was completed in 1928 for
a mere $650,000. But it wasn't until three decades later that the
Gopher hockey team had an arena to call home.

Since opening day on Feb. 17, 1950, when Minnesota beat Michigan
State 12-1, the arena has produced a collegiate program that rivals
any in the nation.

The Gophers have skated to a 535-205-32 record in the arena, logged
14 Final Four appearances and brought home four national
championships.

Through it all, Mariucci has served Minnesota well with only a few
minor calamities.

Three years ago, when first-place Northern Michigan was in town, the
scoreboard went on the blink. Rumor had it a few resident mice chewed
through some exposed wires, causing the short-circut.

When the New Century Mill building near the arena burned to the
ground in 1990, hot embers ignited a box on top of Mariucci Arena.
The fire burned a 20- by 20-foot area on the roof, causing an
estimated $15,000 in damages.

That winter, a window was  left open in the women's bathroom, causing
the pipes to freeze and burst. The disaster occurred shortly before a
game with Wisconsin and the floors were still being mopped when the
gates opened.

Things have run pretty smoothly in the ``old barn'' despite a few
malfunctions, but the new building will bring better sightlines, more
seats and a variety of new additions.

``This is like one of the rooms in the house -- it's home to me,''
said Woog, in his eighth season with the Gophers. ``I guess that I
don't realize how worn down it is in many respects, but then again,
we're on the ice side.''

As part of a $41 million project, including the renovation of
Williams Arena, the new Mariucci will feature individual seats, study
areas, meeting rooms and additional locker rooms.

Woog said the new arena was designed by hockey players and for hockey
players with two goals in mind.

``When we decided on our new arena, we concentrated on an
Olympic-size rink and in creating a sense of intimidation,'' Woog
said. ``I think that we've accomplished both.

``Once you get inside Mariucci Arena, you're in a lion's den and it's
pretty awesome on center stage. The crowd is on top of you and
there's no place in the world that has closer seats. We want to bring
that with us when we move.''

However, numerous state-of-the-art features can't replace the
tradition and memories that haunt the eaves of Mariucci Arena.

``There's nothing like walking up those old steps into that crowded
arena,'' said former Gopher Neal Broten, who was the first recipient
of the Hobey Baker Award, in 1981. ``Those are such great memories
that I think they'll be taking a little away with the new rink, but
putting on a Minnesota jersey is a lot of pride itself.''

Senior captain Travis Richards may have said it best. ``I think it'll
be more memorable to play in the last game at Mariucci than the first
game in the new rink. It's an honor to finish my career here.''