From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 90 19:13:23 EDT
Carol writes:
>                             We have always wondered how the height of the
> players is actually measured. Here at Minnesota there have always been a few
> players who were listed as 5-7 or 5-9 for example, but who were actually a
> good two inches shorter than the hgt. listed in the program or media guide. I
> think that they MUST measure some of the players with their skates ON to even
> come close to what the program says. Any other thoughts on this??

On a related note:  A while ago in _Sports Illustrated_, I saw a little
blurb about a basketball player (I don't remember his name) who was listed
in his team's media guide at seven feet.  His actual height, probably from
medical records, turned out to be about 6-9 or 6-10.  Asked about the
discrepancy, he replied, "I am seven feet tall with my shoes on, and I
always play with my shoes on."  I guess that makes sense.  Maybe that IS how
hockey players should be measured, weighed, etc.

Back to hockey info -- THN has indeed FINALLY printed its predictions for
Hockey East and the ECAC.  Again I've summarized and posted the articles
separately for your viewing pleasure.  One gripe:  THN seemed to have more
to say about the two western leagues a couple of weeks ago than they did
about the two eastern leagues in this week's issue.  There was a fair amount
of "filler" in the articles on Hockey East and the ECAC.  Also, I'm not
particularly sure I like THN's idea of splitting the previews over two
issues like this, especially when the issues are two weeks apart.

Oh yes, they also had previews for the Canadian university leagues, if
anyone's interested.

Cornell's hockey season sort of kicks off this Friday, with the Red-White
scrimmage...

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86
LET'S GO RED!!

"BARNEY's gonna cry too, after I get through breaking every bone in his body!
 Throw your voice at ME, will ya?!"
"Now-now-now don't get mad, Fred."
"Who's mad?  I just want to congratulate you on being such a good ventrilo-
 quist.  I JUST WANNA SHAKE YOUR THROAT!!"
-- "The Flintstones"