From:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 1994 18:02:57 -0400
Selected tidbits from "Powers to lead Falcons on ice",
Sentinel-Tribune, July 12, 1994, by Kevin Gordon

"...ever since he left BG, Powers has been waiting to return."

"'This is a real big event in my life and my family's life,' said
Powers..."

"'This is a great place to be because of its location, its tradition,
its academics and the people in the community,' Powers said about
BG."

"Powers likes BG's nucleus [of players]....Eighteen of the 21
players who dressed for BG's final game last season return."

"'Our goal is to make a run at the CCHA and the national playoffs
right away,' Powers said. 'This is a great program.'"

"Powers agreed to a four-year contract, but he declined to give
his salary."

"'Buddy is a perfect fit,' said retiring BG athletic director Jack
Gregory."

"Gregory said money was not [an] issue with [Rick] Comley, who
recently agreed to a 3-year contract extension at NMU. But the
extension...was never signed [allowing Rick to consider the BG
job]."

"Gregory also denied a report [that] Comley did not want to retain
[Wayne] Wilson as BG's top assistant coach, if Comley was hired as
the new coach."

"Wilson will be Powers' No. 1 assistant....Todd Flichel, a[nother]
defenseman on BG's national championship team, will be BG's graduate
assistant coach next season....One other assistant coach remains
to be named, although it could be [HOCKEY-L member!] Mike Cavanaugh,
a volunteer assistant coach with the Falcons during the 1992-93
season. He's currently an assistant at Dartmouth."