From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 1998 12:42:48 -0500
At 05:47 AM 3/15/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>referee Mike Noeth
>>assistants Joel Dupree, Tom DiFusco
>
>I *might* go that far. Many of us were confused by the lack of penalty calls,
>or for that matter, a call that looked like it was on Cornell but turned out
>to be RPI. Even the reverse of that. Admittedly the referee cannot have his
>eyes everywhere on the ice, but when things seemed to happen in front of the
>referee, he sometimes still doesn't see it. I guess this is something I won't
>understand until I end up officiating a game and am in the situation myself.

I have been harping on ECAC referees all season and Noeth is part of the
reason.
He made a lot of poor calls (and many more non-calls) all night but his
referee-ing was consistently poor, not favoring one team or the other so
I didn't bring it up as an issue.

>However, the assistants were another story. Maybe I need a review of what
>is off sides, but the assistant calling it for Cornell was very good and
>didn't miss much. However, the assistant calling it for RPI quite often
>let offsides calls slip on RPI.

I sit down low and cannot always tell when an offsides call is correct or not.
The biggest joke was changing the names from linesmen to assistant referees.
Other than "too many men on the ice" calls (which linesmen were allowed to
call),
I haven't seen an assistant call one penalty all year. Are they allowed to
call
penalties anywhere or are they only supposed to call penalties in specific
circumstances? What is their authority? If they call a penalty, can they
be overruled by the referee?  It seemed that changing the previous system
(2 referees and 1 linesman) to 1 referee and 2 assistants was going to be
a change for the better, but so far, it's been a return to the 1 referee
2 linesmen system.

>My friends and I believe this is one of the poorer officiated games we've
>seen in a long time.

You're obviously new here. Ask someone about Harry Ammian. Or even better,
the infamous Pierre Belanger.

>For as bad as the officiating seemed, what can be done about this. I've
>watched hockey a lot, but I don't know all the rules. Where can I find out?

I commend you for wanting to learn the rules. But don't assume that
knowing all the rules will explain everything you see out on the ice.

Mark Lewin
RPI - class of '69