Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 1998 05:47:47 -0500
[log in to unmask] (Mark Lewin) writes:

[ some box score & penalty info deleted ]

>referee Mike Noeth
>assistants Joel Dupree, Tom DiFusco

[ some game summary deleted ]

>Back to the disputed goal. This took place at the west end of the Field House
>(the opposite end from the stage). I sit inside the blue line at the
>eastern end of the rink (actually even with the top of the faceoff circle).
>In addition, I sit down low (4th row) just about even with the top of the
>plexiglas.  I cannot see one corner of the opposite end of the ice
>and I cannot easily see the net when there is a crowd in front. If the
>players on the visitors bench are standing, it also can block part
>of my vision at that end of the ice.
>Thus, when the red light came on ( second goal that was waved off),
>I cannot tell you what happened. There were a lot of bodies in front
>of the net and I had no clear view of what happened leading up to the
>red light coming on.
>The first disputed goal however was a different story. I had a clear
>line of sight straight to the RPI goal as most of the players were on
>Laing's left (opposite side from me). I clearly saw the puck come off
>Tymchyshyn's stick, go over Laing's shoulder, tip the cross bar,
>deflect down to the back of the net where it must have hit the bar
>at the back base of the net and came shooting back out.
>I don't know where the referee was. I can believe that with all the action
>going on, he might not have been in position to see the goal. That is
>why they have goal judges whose sole job is to watch. I was listening to
>the radio (WRPI) and one announcer thought the puck had gone in while the
>other
>honestly didn't know. I clearly saw the puck and it WAS a goal. I spoke to
>several
>other people after the game (all RPI fans) who sit higher up than I do
>and everyone I spoke to agreed that the puck had gone in.

I think I *may* have confused the two events, but...

The non-goal, no red light looked to me like it never got into the net. I sat
in section 15, row L on the rail near the steps. To me, it looked like the
puck slid in, hit the vertical to the goalie's right, and then came back
out and was hit away from the net. What was confusing is that the rebound
off the post was almost exactly straight back on the way it was shot.

As for the other one waved off, I'm not sure whether a whistle blew, or
exactly what happened. There were one or two times where it *looked* like the
puck went in, but instead seemed to roll across the back of the net.

>Now I'm not willing to say that the referee stole the game from Cornell.

I *might* go that far. Many of us were confused by the lack of penalty calls,
or for that matter, a call that looked like it was on Cornell but turned out
to be RPI. Even the reverse of that. Admittedly the referee cannot have his
eyes everywhere on the ice, but when things seemed to happen in front of the
referee, he sometimes still doesn't see it. I guess this is something I won't
understand until I end up officiating a game and am in the situation myself.

However, the assistants were another story. Maybe I need a review of what
is off sides, but the assistant calling it for Cornell was very good and
didn't miss much. However, the assistant calling it for RPI quite often
let offsides calls slip on RPI.

My friends and I believe this is one of the poorer officiated games we've
seen in a long time.

>I am glad for RPI's sake since they live to play another day. If Cornell
>wins tomorrow night, then this becomes a non-event and it all goes away.
>If RPI comes back to win, the argument will be made that Cornell's season
>ended because of sloppy officiating (which of course is what we've all
>been complaining about all year long).

For as bad as the officiating seemed, what can be done about this. I've
watched hockey a lot, but I don't know all the rules. Where can I find out?
Also, how does the ECAC determine who officiates the games?

>I still root for my alma mater on Sunday night. But I do empathize with
>Cornell fans. They got screwed!!!

Yeah. Better calls, better game (in theory). Both teams played real well, even
better than Friday.

These opinions are mine. Feel free to question me on them.

K. Nasadowski