From:
Arthur Mintz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 90 16:15:57 EST
Erik comments:
>teams skate onto the ice.
>  Is the practice of adopting a piece of contemporary rock music as a fight
>song unique to eastern schools?  I'd never heard of such a thing until Clarkson
>played here in the NCAA playoffs last season.

The first time I remember a team playing a piece of contemporary rock
music as a fight song was in the 1986 NCAA playoffs, when Cornell went
out to Denver. Can't remember which song Denver used (the one where
everyone periodically shouts "Hey!", if that's any help), but the
practice certainly isn't unique to Eastern schools.

Cornell's fight song is "Give My Regards To Davy", sung to the tune of
"Give My Regards To Broadway". It has been the Big Red's traditional
fight song for the 24 years I've been here, and for a long, long time
before that. If anybody is interested in the story behind it, I'll
look it up and post it; suffice to say that we must be the only
school in the world whose fight song refers to a former University
registrar.