From:
Arthur Mintz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 90 08:14:39 EST
Nate writes:

>Bill, I've never heard of a roughing major.  Is this different from a
>fighting major?  Specifically, does Mandervile get suspended for a
>game?  There was a fight in the Brown game in the first period, with
>both players being ejected (so Pierre actually had FIVE ejections!!).
>I heard that the Brown guy can't play his next game either.

A roughing major is exactly that, a major penalty for roughing. Just
like a major penalty for high-sticking, cross-checking, etc. The
referee has the discretion to award a major instead of a minor when
he feels the situation warrants it. In this situation, I think Dan
Murphy was bending over backwards to keep from having to throw the
players out of the game. The ONLY penalty that carries a suspension
is a game disqualification--not a major, not a misconduct, and not a
game misconduct.