From:
Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 1994 15:34:06 EDT
>I agree 100%. RPI can achieve all of its athletic goals as a member of
>the ECAC. RPI should be proud of running a quality hockey program
>within the stringent ECAC academic standards. The problem is not the
>ECAC academic index, but the somewhat unrealistic expectations of
>some RPI fans.

>RPI BELONGS IN THE ECAC.

I'm not sure from what perspective you are speaking-- from the ECAC's, yes
RPI should stay, from thealumni's/fan's/athlete's I'm not so sure.  I think
recent history shows that RPI can't compete recruiting-wise with the cream
of the ECAC--Harvard.  Like it or not, Harvard has been the most consistent
hockey power in the conference the last 10 years, actually since RPI's
championship season.  The name value of Harvard is undeniable in attracting
quality scholar athletes to the hockey program.

Unrealistic expectations...perhaps.  But what school with as good a fan base as
RPI's doesn't expect to compete for the national championship?  Actually I
don't know if that is so much a problem as it is an asset.  It's not easy
getting people in the Capital District interested in much of anything
sportswise, at least anything which requires them to spend their hard-earned
taxpayor supported dollars.  The devoted RPI fan contingent manages to keep
the program on the front page of the sports page, and certainly provides a
base for support of college hockey in the Capital District.

RPI is proud of its hockey program, and the fact that it is a major topic of
conversation during a hot Albany July is proof that its fans share in this
feeling.  (gush gush)  Everyone loves a winner, and Engineer fans are no
different.  That they have grown to expect more from their team is a by-product
of their intense following.

I think the debate should be centered on what benefit the academic index
provides to the ECAC, and RPI specifically.  And I think a realistic
re-appraisal of ECAC strictures should be undertaken by the member schools to
determine whether things like the prohibition on televising regular season
games has any benefit to the hockey schools.  I think the real issue is what
is the raison d'etre for the ECAC, and is that charter consistent with it
competing successfully on a national scale.  It may be necessary to choose one
or the other.
                    _
            "NYS   // Hockey"
        Go 'Gate  //   Brian Morris