Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 1991 16:18:00 EST
A couple of days ago I started my response to the few inquiries
about the status of Notre Dame Hockey. Being closely involved as I
am, I thought that I could enlighten those of you who actually
care what is happening here in Northern Indiana. I started my
little essay by stating right up front that all persons i.e.
little essay by stating right up front that all persons(i.e.coaches, and hockey
fans) close to N.D. Hockey strongly favored
the proposal to upgrade the program so that it might become a member
of the CCHA. If N.D. were to join the CCHA it would probably only
do so with 14.5 scholarships instead of the full maximum of 18.
Still, we felt, we could become representative and competitive in
short order. At least we thing so! Just joining the league would
help us recruit more talented players. We could use a full
scholarships for that special "blue chip" player and divide us the
rest.  I went on to explain the our athletic department was
"actively considering membership in the CCHA" at least that is what
I had read in the paper. The proposal was made to our executive
vice President of the University on May 1. We have now entered our
18th week of contemplation on this matter.  I was lamenting all of
this when, suddenly, my whole screen went black before I could send
my message. I thought for certain that my message had gone via the
Golden Dome and was immediately aborted. Alas, no one has come to my
office seeking an explanation so I guess that it is safe to assume
that my black out was a power surge or some other electrical
quirk and NOT the result of administrative subterfuge afterall.
To make a long story even longer, Notre Dame simply has not yet
decided whether or not to join Division I hockey in a more favorable
way. I can only hope that the discussion will resume before the
football season begins.  If it does not, it might be January 2 before
it is discussed again.
My final comment is this: Notre Dame is a great place with or without
a bona fide Division I hockey team. It could simply be so much better
a place if it did! Bye for now, Ric Schafer