From:
Mark Gibbons <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Gibbons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 1994 12:24:10 EST
[log in to unmask] wrote about Houston Field House having fencing in place of the plexiglass & it reminded me of a couple of games I saw BP(before plexiglass).  An forward got his stick caught in the fence(in his offensive zone) & could not get it out, his coach was screaming for him to forget it & get a new one the crowd(around 8,000) was evenly split between laughing & trying to get him to stop. The harder he yanked the less the stick budged & the more the coach screamed.  That went on for a good 20 seconds while the other team(the good guys thankfully 8-{>) had the puck on offense.  They didn't score, but I think that forward missed a couple of shifts after that.

The other was at an IHL game & one of the goalies took exception to a call by the goal judge.  He jammed the handle of his stick through the mesh & started twisting it around while the goal judge bobbed & weaved to avoid it.  The judge didn't have too good luck as he was stuck in a phone booth sized box that was supposed to protect him!  Luckly he wasn't hurt.

Maybe the NHL should switch to mesh -- it would complete the "cage match" mentality they seem to enjoy.

me

 **  Johnson Governors  -- 1947, 1953, 1955 and 1963 STATE CHAMPS!  **

Notes From Hockey Hell (r)