From:
Mark Grassl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 91 11:04:25 CST
Jim writes:
>Mind letting us in on the UND water bottle incident?  Some of us don't
>know about that.

	The John Newberry/UW/ND water bottle incident happened in either
1981 or 1982.  What I know about this affair is secondhand info but many
"oldtimers" recall this game quite vividly.  Newberry was on the UW bench
and as a ND skater came by Newberry squirted him.  The ND player resented
this and one thing led to another.  Both benches cleared and a major
brawl resulted.  It seems to me that the intense rivalry(especially for
the fans) between Wisc. and North Dakota dates back to this game.
	Newbberry, by the way, was an All-American in 1982.  Was he the
Hobey Baker winner?  Does anybody have a list of Hobey winners?

>Something's wrong here.  Parker acts childish by throwing debris on the
>ice, and receives not even a slap on the wrist.  Maine Coach Shawn Walsh
>complains about a referee's call after game one of the NCAA Quarterfinal
>Series at Wisconson, and gets slapped with a one-game playoff suspension.
>(Incidently, the comment came from Jim Montgomery receiving a spearing
>penalty, and Walsh claimed the Wisconsin player acted hurt and was
>barely touched, or in his words, "That kid got up three days quicker
>than Christ did!") Blasphemous? Maybe.  But is ANY comment in the land
>of freedom of speech worse than throwing debris on the playing surface?

	I think Walsh's comment is quite funny; he certainly is glib.
Montgomery got his penalty for pulling the goalies' leg out from
under after a save and well after the whistle.  Derksen, the UW goalie,
did probably fake it a bit so Walsh got that part right.  Parker's
antics were reported here in Madison and not so kindly either.  Seems
to me the Hockey East commish is afraid to take a stand against a coach
with lots of seniority.

---the mg