From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 91 16:58:58 EST
Jim Baines writes:
>                                                           The next
>thing I know, I see an assistant coach trying to climb over the
>plexiglass to get a fan, who appartantly threw something at the bench.
>(Can't really blame the coach for that.)

    The assistant coach was Bill Berglund, who I knew when I was at
    Northeastern.  He was goalie coach there and is now doing the
    same at BU.  He's a normally very calm, mild-mannered guy (no
    relation to Clark Kent) who must have just lost it when he was
    hit with something thrown by an idiotic fan.  You're right, you
    can't blame him for trying to get at the fan.  I just thought people
    should know Berglund's true demeanor; he's very respected by
    his players and by other people involved in the game.  The commish
    ordered Berglund off the bench for the Saturday night game, but I
    believe this was more out of a concern for Berglund's safety and
    desire to prevent any further incidents than it was punitive.

>Something's wrong here.  Parker acts childish by throwing debris on the
>ice, and receives not even a slap on the wrist.  Maine Coach Shawn Walsh
>complains about a referee's call after game one of the NCAA Quarterfinal
>Series at Wisconson, and gets slapped with a one-game playoff suspension.

    I agree, but remember that Walsh's suspension came at the hands of the
    NCAA and not from Hockey East.  Also, Parker was likewise suspended
    for his team's next NCAA game because of his infamous toe-to-toe
    argument with the referee in last season's quarterfinal series at
    Michigan State.  At least the NCAA has been consistent.

    The problem I have with Stu Haskell's refusal to take action against
    Parker (I have personally witnessed him heavily abuse officials in
    at least five separate games this season) is that the commissioner has
    come down hard on players abusing referees (Peter Schure of Northeastern
    was suspended indefinitely back in November 1988 for allegedly striking
    an official during a bench-clearing brawl with Lowell), but he allows
    Parker to commit what I consider to be acts at least as heinous.  I
    can't explain it.

    - mike