From:
Todd Johanson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Todd Johanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1993 17:20:42 CDT
>> Damian gets credit for the goal because he was
>> the last Tech player to touch the puck.

> So whenever Team A scores an own-goal the
> goal is awarded to the last player from Team B
> who touched the puck? Interesting; you really
> CAN score when you're off the ice.

Well, I'm just guessing here, I don't have access to a rule book.

It seems like this case is similar to the situation when a puck
is deflected (or redirected in some way) by a defender before it
goes into the net. The goal is credited to the last offensive
player to touch the puck. This happens quite often. The empty net
isn't an issue, but it is recorded for game stats. The only
differences I can see between these two cases are:
1. The amount of time between the offensive player touching the
puck and it crossing the goal line. and
2. The last player to "control" the puck was a defender.

There certainly isn't a rule pertaining to the amount of time and
the only rule I can think of regarding "control" is backing
across the blue line with "control" of the puck.

What if...
Team A pulls their goalie, and is able to keep the puck for
several minutes. Team B manages to get in a line change during
this time. Now, suppose that the Team B players now on the ice
never touch the puck, but an own goal is scored by Team A. The
last player from Team B to touch the puck is likely to be on the
bench.

My guess is that the player on the bench gets credit for the
goal.
But, again, I'm just guessing. I've never heard or seen of
own-goal stats, so I think that the last offensive player to
touch the puck is always credited with the goal.

Todd