From:
Arthur Mintz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Arthur Mintz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1993 18:44:26 -0400
>>        and was the only collegiate
>>        goaltender ever to score a goal into a defended net (it happened
>>        at RPI against international competition during a tournament).
>
>I'd LOVE to hear the story behind this one.
>
>Jeffrey Anbinder
>The Sexiest Man in Ithaca Radio

This excerpt is from the article "The 1980-81 ECAC Hockey Season: Down To
The Last Percentage Point", by Andrew K. Finnie,  from the 1981 ECAC
Tournament program:

"Tortorella himself went down in history this year by being the first ECAC
netminder to score an unassisted, shorthanded goal. The marker came at the
RPI Invitational Tournament against Vasby, an amateur team from Sweden.
With three minutes left in the game, and Vasby on a power play, Tortorella
made a routine clearing of the puck. The disc slid the length of the ice
past everyone, bounced off Vasby goalie Robert Nyquist's stick and into the
net. Both the puck and Tortorella's stick now reside at the U. S. Hockey
Hall of Fame in Eveleth, Minnesota." [Note: Maine won that game, 12-2, and
also the tournament, defeating Holy Cross 12-2  and RPI 5-3.]