From:
Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1993 18:30:32 EST
Should there be a tie for the Hobey Baker Award (not possible in reality,
is it?)?

Consider this: Paul Kariya now has 96 points on the year. Jim Montgom-
ery now has 91 points on the year. Granted, Kariya averages more points
per game than Montgomery. But in skipping a gear or two, the argument
has been made Maine would still be a great team if it weren't for Kariya.
Probably true. But I think Kariya has had more of an impact for Maine
than opponents of his winning the Hobey Baker Award would like to believe.

The Kariya-Montgomery-Ingraham line has dominated for the Black Bears
this season. Ingraham has scored more than 40 goals - a team record.
Kariya has 96 points - a team record. Montgomery has 91 points - what
would have been a team record if not for Kariya. But wait! Could it
be possible Kariya made Montgomery a better player, and Ingraham too?
Or is it the other way around, Montgomery made Kariya a better player,
and thus Ingraham too? (The better players as we all know don't neces-
sarily have to score lots of goals or points.)

Montgomery has strong leadership qualities both on the ice and off.
He's had four years to showcase his other talents. Kariya hasn't had
as much time as the other Baker Award finalists to establish himself
off the ice.

At first I thought Kariya was the natural choice for the award. But
not anymore. No doubt about it, I'm biased because I follow Maine
and not college hockey as a whole also. But if it were to come down
to Montgomery or Kariya, I'm not sure now who I'd select.

Ryan Robbins
Penobscot Hall
University of Maine