Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 1992 10:59:02 EST
> Finally, a travel note.  If it is snowing throughout the state of
> New York, and you are coming from the west, I recommend the NYS
> Thruway (as opposed to Routes 17 and 88).  The Thruway will be
> plowed and monitored.  17 and 88 run through sparsely populated areas
> and are not maintained as well as the Thruway.
>
> I've driven Route 17 in a snowstorm...you DON'T want to do it.

I want to second this statement.  I came through the 20" snowstorm that hit
Western New York the Wednesday before Hockeyfest.  It was at night, and I was
travelling route 17 in from Erie,PA.  I had asked some truckers on my CB how 17
was.  One responded, "Only a damn fool takes 17 in the winter!"  I guess I'm a
damn fool.  They do not plow out there and the first 26 miles is two-lane.

Now back to our hockey newsdesk,  Mike....

--
Dave [log in to unmask]
Cornell '91 OSU Med '95