Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 1992 01:33:26 EST
First of all, I guess the results speak for themselves and it may be time for
the east to eat some crow.  Congratulations to all the western teams even if it
does mean we have to listen to arrogant western gloating for the remainder of
the spring :-)

Before we go off into threads about the vindication of TCHCR's western power
ratings (although I believe that people did attack TCHCR a little too much at
times), let's not forget the influence that the switch to single-elimination
had on these results.  Maybe nothing would have changed, but you never know.
I still do not like single-elimination formats, even though it would have meant
that Cornell could have advanced another round last year.  (If anything, that
is an argument against the format.)  Even though I find the NCAA basketball
championships exciting, I still think a multiple-game format would be fairer.
There is no way that UTEP is a beter team than Kansas.  By similar comparison,
MSU is not a better team than Maine (I have seen both play this year), but
anything can happen in one game, regardless of how talented a team is. However,
you have to give credit to the Spartans for doing what Maine couldn't, come up
big in the one game available.  (Yes, I would support at least 2 of 3 format
even for a championship series.  It'll never happen, but I would support it.)

Despite the last fist-shakings of an ardent easterner, I must capitulate and
again congratulate the west.  You guys got the better of play this time around
(Somedays, you eat the Bears, other days, the Bears eat you.).  With the east
gone, I have to go to my last line of defense and route for the CCHA.  Let's Go
Blue!  (Please, don't let the WCHA win :-)

--
Dave [log in to unmask]
Cornell '91 OSU Med '95