From:
Paul Marchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 1992 08:33:39 EST
Another Division 1 hockey program in danger of getting cancelled. It was
reported on the news last night here in Dayton, that due to a 14 million
dollar short fall, that Miami University is examing their athletic program
to determine which ones to cancel. The hockey team is one of the programs
currently under consideration. Their reasoning, as was with Ferris State, I
believe, is due to the fact that it is not a revenue generator.

It's sad. The Miami program has worked hard the last three years to become
respectable in the CCHA and made it to Joe Louis for the CCHA Tournament
for the first time, I think. While a BGSU fan, I have been to Goggin Arena
at Miami for numerous games(it being so close to me) and the place is always
packed. I think it only holds about 1500. Maybe 2000 if you really cram
people in. But the point being that it would be most unfortunate for the team
to have come so far and have the rug pulled out from under them.

I understand that the University must ensure that education comes first and
at the same time balance mens and womens athletics, but it would be a shame
to lose them from the CCHA when the league is becoming so competitive.

I'll post any additional news or final decisions that I hear.

Paul Marchant     |    The other FINAL FOUR!    | (513) 865 - 1637
Mead Data Central |    April 2-4  Albany, NY    | Data Technology
P.O. Box 933      |   The BEST OF THE BEST in   | [log in to unmask]
Dayton, OH  45401 |         NCAA Hockey         | ...!uunet!meaddata!paulm