From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 1992 13:50:10 CST
This discussion is really (to me) getting past the point of
interesting. Its a lot of speculation, all based on how someone
else is going to consider an injury... except for Eric, no one
has even mentioned the issue of how Wisconsin is actually playing
at the moment (pretty good, although they were better in late
December/January/early Feb, IMHO).

But, the thing which caused me to send this response is seeing comments
like this (sorry, mark, I don't mean to pick on you, but your message is
easiest to quote):

> Remember Louie, this is the NCAA we are talking about.  I am fairly
> certain that Mike Machnik told a story about team on the bubble that
> was left behind for this very reason.  I completely agree that this is among
> the most asinine things I have ever heard.  Maybe we should start a
> top ten dumbest things the NCAA has ever done, seperate lists for every sport.

The NCAA committee which selects and seeds the teams for the Hockey
tournament is made up of representatives from Division I hockey
schools. Lots of things get done by the unnamed people ("they" and
"them") at the NCAA offices, and by the NCAA convention and President's
Commission, but choosing the teams is done by people who do know
something about hockey. Yes, they have to follow NCAA rules and
guidelines, but they aren't evil robots programmed by the "they" of the
NCAA office to screw the sport.

Someone who has the list can post who exactly is on the committee this
year (and what the name of the committee is). If you know the scope of
the committee's duties, that would be interesting as well.

	--david

--------
david parter				university of wisconsin -- madison
[log in to unmask]			      computer sciences department