From:
Jim Love <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 1992 13:36:51 EST
How soon they forget -

This week's "Sports Illustrated" contains a short news article on the current
coaching status of former Minnesota and 1980 US Olympic coach Herb Brooks.
Former BC (?) player Bill Guerin, now playing in the NJ Devil's system after
being cut from this year's Olympic squad, was recently assigned to Utica of
the AHL, Brooks' current coaching post.  He recounts for SI being told by
Brooks how he [Brooks] felt after being the last cut from the 1960 gold-
medal winning Olympic team: "He told me his story.  I started thinking about
playing for Herb Brooks.  There are a lot of kids like me who play hockey
because of what he did with that team in '80.  In a lot of ways, he *IS*
U.S. hockey."  [emphasis SI]

Now, more than ever, the effort needs to be redoubled to convince the NC$$
to christen the Ice Hockey Championship Trophy the "Bob Johnson Cup" as has
been discussed here over the past month or so since Bob's untimely passing.
Not to demean H. Brooks' accomplishments, but IMHO there is only one man
who deserves to be spoken of as Guerin did above - and it's not H. Brooks.

"It's a Great Day for Hockey"  -- Bob Johnson, RIP

Jim <[log in to unmask]>
Go 'Cats