From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 1997 15:45:03 -0500
For those intent on hockey content and hockey content only,
delete this post now. This will be mostly history and philosophy
with just a touch of hockey on the side.

The history:
I am a computer professional and have been since 1970. I started
working on computers in an age where they took buildings, not
desktops to exist. I now have a pc in my study with 500 times the amount
of memory and 1000+ times the cpu power than my original mainframe
and it cost me less to purchase it than the electricity and air-conditioning
cost to run that mainframe for 1 day. Back then, the idea of a list server
like this was more than just a dream, it was in the realm of science
fiction. That was only 27 years ago.
Now listservers, email and newsgroups are available to anyone and for
any subject. We all take them for granted. We seldom stop to see the
down side of this new means of mass communication.

I sat down at my pc last night, angry, disappointed and tired and
entered an emotional tirade. If I were to address you in person as a group,
or snail-mail you all, I would have had a chance to get a good night sleep,
calm down reread my thoughts and make necessary adjustments. Instead, I
ranted, raved, typed and hit SEND. My diatribe was on its way around the
country, long before the other half of my brain kicked into gear.

The philosophy:
I was one of the people who reacted in disgust a few short weeks ago
during the Shawn Walsh/Maine thread as well as similar posts last year
between North Dakota et al. vs. Minnesota flames. I have no problems with
disagreements, I enjoy and encourage them. The diversity among us is what
makes this list fun and interesting. What I cannot stand is the situation
where people (mostly people who lurk in the background on this list) feel
the need to jump in and start a flame war by attacking the person who
expresses
his/her opinion. Attack the idea if you must, but character assassination
has no place here. There have been many fine writers on this list over the
past few years who have vanished because they dared to express an opinion.
Others who have added no value whatsoever to the well-being of this list
have flamed them and attacked them personally and driven them from our midst.

My point? (Yes, Virginia, there is a point here).
I violated my own standards last night. I wrote and sent before I thought.
And judging from some of the follow-ups, others have mis-interpreted my
post (and justifiably so) as character assassination of Harry Ammian.
Now I find myself eating crow which, while probably not bad for my cholesterol
count, is not one of my favorite dishes.

Let me state that I did not mean to demean, destroy or malign the character
or integrity of Harry Ammian, the man, in any way, shape or form. I attacked
his philosophy of hockey officiating and the method he chooses to execute
that philosphy. I did not mean to imply that RPI lost last night due to Harry
Ammian nor did I mean to imply that Harry Ammian treats RPI any different than
any other team.

Harry Ammian disallowed an RPI goal last night. I stated that Harry blew the
whistle while the puck was still in play even though he had the same line
of sight
that I did and that I could clearly see that the puck was still in play.
However,
there were 2 Colgate defenders and 3 RPI forwards in and around the crease
where
the Colgate goalie mishandled the puck. I saw it, I was looking at the puck.
Harry is responsible for not only looking at the puck but making sure there
are
no people in the crease that shouldn't be there and making sure that there
are no penalties being committed. I had no such responsibility. Harry missed
the puck drop out of the goalie's glove. A mistake? Sure. It happens. He blew
the whistle before the puck was shot in the net. It was a mistake to blow
the whistle
but once he did, he had no choice but to wave off the goal. Tough luck.

I certainly have no problem with Harry's skating abilities. Some referrees
miss
calls because they are out of position or can't keep up with the play. That
is not
one of Harry's problems. He's always where he should be. That's the most
frustrating
part. He is always where he should be and still blows the call (oops,
I did it again) ;-)

The problem I see with Harry Ammian is his inconsistency.  Harry is a stickler
for tripping and hooking calls. He calls the most minor trips and hooks early
in the game while ignoring dangerous boarding, charging and cross checking.
Then, later in the first period or into the second period, after the players'
frustration has built up, Harry realizes he has lost control and starts
calling
all the penalties he's been ignoring earlier in the game. It's frustrating
to the fans, to the coaches and to the players and destroys the flow of
the game.  Then halfway through the third period, he seems to decide that he
shouldn't be a factor in the outcome of the game and he puts his whistle away
for everything except the most blatant fouls.
I guess this just conflicts with my philosophy of the game. My feeling is that
he should let the players know early and often, what is permissible and
what isn't. If the players can't adjust and lose the game because they take
dumb penalties, too bad. That's their job and their fault.

In Harry's defense, he always seems to be around during the ECAC final four
(oops, I meant Phinal Phour) and has been in the last several NCAA
tournaments.
I have to believe that he wouldn't be there if the league officials and/or
coaches agreed with my assessment of his abilities. Either that or he works
cheap.

All in all, I lost my cool and will try to do better.
Now back to hockey, RPI vs. Cornell!!! (Sure hope Harry is working the
Union game tonight.............)

Mark Lewin
RPI - class of 1969
(this signature is year2000 compliant)