From:
Jim Teresco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 1992 15:21:29 EST
Ingalls Rink, New Haven, CT
Friday, 1/10/92

Union   0 3 2 0 - 5
Yale    1 2 2 0 - 5

Scoring:
1st Period-
1) Yale, Maltby 1, 17:38

2nd Period-
2) Yale, Leroux 4 (from Kaufmann) 2:46
3) Union, Flowers 5 (from Burchill and Clifford) 11:11
4) Union, Ferrero 8 (from Whitney and Clifford) 14:31
5) Union, Ferrero 9 (from Whitney and Clifford) 16:23
6) Yale, Allen 3 (from Duffy and Kaufmann) 18:50 (pp)

3rd Period-
7) Union, Menhall 4, 9:37
8) Yale, Chiasson 6 (Mackey) 14:32
9) Union, Menhall 5 (from Jiampetti) 15:13
10) Yale, Chiasson 7 (from Lavish and Ferguson) 16:24

Overtime-
none.

Shots on goal: Union 7-9-11-0--27, Yale 7-8-19-3--37

Power Play: Union 0 of 5, Yale 1 of 6.

Goalies: Union, Villa (1-4-1)(37 shots, 32 saves)
         Yale, Hockin (4-2-2)(27 shots, 22 saves)

Union's Seniors, with some help from Freshman goalie Luigi Villa, led
Union to a 5-5 tie on the road at Yale.  Dalton Menhall scored 2 3rd
period goals, Craig Ferrero scored 2 2nd period goals, Rick Clifford
had 3 assists, and Scott Whitney added 2 assists for Union, as they
get their first point in an ECAC League game.  I wasn't at the game,
so all of my information comes from Dave Sachar and Eric Weinberger on
the radio, and Ken Schott's writeup in the Schenectady Gazette.

Union and Yale played an even first period.  Each team had some good
chances, but both Villa and Yale's John Hockin were sharp.  The only
goal of the period was a fluke goal credited to Maltby when the
rebound of his shot bounced off a Union defenseman and trickled past
Villa.  Each team finished the period with 7 shots.

The second period started with the teams skating 3-on-3 following a
scuffle late in the first period.  Leroux gave Yale a 2-0 lead at
2:46.  The teams traded power plays in the first half of the period.
Yale had a power play goal disallowed when the net came off the
magnets.  Union had trouble breaking in on their power play, but right
after Yale returned to full strength, Jayson Flowers pulled Union to
within 1.  The goal, set up by a pass from Rick Clifford to Rick
Burchill, was described on the radio as one of the best goals of the
season for Union.  After a Dutchmen power play was killed when Matt
Kelley was sent off, Craig Ferrero went to work.  First, with the
teams 4-on-4, Ferrero froze Hockin with a hard shot from inside the
faceoff circle to tie the score at 2.  Less than 2 minutes later, a
great pass from Scott Whitney sent Ferrero in on a clean breakaway to
give Union a 3-2 lead at 16:13.  The Bulldogs had a 5-on-3 at the end
of the period, as Burchill and Villa were both given penalties
following a save by Villa.  Yale took advantage, and tied the score
on Allen's goal.  Yale had more chances in the final minute, but could
not get another one past Villa.

Villa stopped 10 shots in the first 9 minutes of the third period to
keep Union tied at 3.  The Dutchmen were thoroughly dominated until
Dalton Menhall scored an unassisted goal at 9:37 by poking at a loose
puck in front of Hockin.  The chance was set up by good play from Jon
Quint and Jeff Jiampetti.  Union kept on the pressure, as Ferrero was
robbed by Hockin, and Menhall and Quint also got good shots off.
Yannick Chiasson tied it for Yale at 14:32 on a blast from the faceoff
circle, but the Dutchmen came right back when Jiampetti stole the puck
at Union's blue line and sent Menhall in on a breakaway.  Menhall
faked a shot on the forehand, and send a backhand shot past Hockin for
a Dutchmen lead at 15:13.  At 16:24, Chiasson scored once again to
bring the Bulldogs even at 5.  By this time, Union radio announcer
Dave Sachar had almost no voice left.  It would only get worse,
though, as both teams had chances to win the game in the remaining 3
1/2 minutes.  There were no penalties called in the period until
Yale's Maltby was called for a 5 minute major penalty.  Union's power
play started with some good shorthanded pressure by Yale, and some
outstanding work by Villa and the Union defense.  With one second left
in the period, Craig Ferrero was robbed by Hockin once again, and the
game was headed to overtime.

Apparently feeling bad about giving Union a 5:00 power play so late in
a tie game, referee Tom MacConaghy called Menhall for a high stick 25
seconds into overtime.  Yale had the only 3 shots of the overtime, but
Villa stopped all three, and Union had its first point.

The Dutchmen were definitely happy to get away with the tie,
especially on the road against a nationally-ranked team.  There was
some disappointment that they couldn't pull off the win, having had
leads of 3-2, 4-3, and 5-4, but after last weekend against Cornell and
Colgate, there were few complaints.  It was good to see Union's
seniors have such a good game.  Playing without Bill Railton, sitting
out a one-game suspension, Ferrero, Menhall, Clifford, Whitney, Tim
Cregan, and Burchill all had strong games.  These players have all
been starters since their freshmen year.  Many of the things that
have cost Union recently were much improved.  They took a lot fewer
penalties, and didn't have the 5-minute letdown that seems to happen
every game.  Maybe it was just because of the #45 ranking in TCHCR....

Union is now 0-8-1 in the ECAC, 1-10-1 overall, and Yale is 6-1-3 in
the ECAC, 7-2-3 overall.  Union and RPI switch places tonight, as
Union is at Princeton and RPI is at Yale.
--
| Jim Teresco			Union College                                 |
| [log in to unmask]	Schenectady, NY 12308			      |