From:
Larry Weintraub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Weintraub <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 1997 12:08:10 -0400
>Jeffrey, if Duffus' parents couldn't afford the tuition, why didn't Cornell
>give him financial aid? Your argument which you contend will prove that
>Ivies give only valid financial aid packages does not hold any water.
>
> "Look, I have proof Cornell will only give players financial aid when they
>need it because Duffus needed it and didn't get it."
>
>See my point?
>
>Maybe there was some other reason Duffus left school?
>
>In any case, I don't want to get too deep into this. I have a lot of respect
>for the Ivies and the way they hold academics higher than athletics. I can
>vouch for Harvard in that those hockey players are clearly students first
>and athletes second. But, I'm not so sure that I'd buy what you (and the
>Ivy Administrations) are trying to sell.

The truth, that's about standard.  When 2 kids go to Ivy league schools in
one family, the financial aid departments have a way of not giving you
enough.  That Duffus had the same problem is evidential proof that he got
hit with the same system the rest of us hate.  That's all Jeff is trying to
say.

If Duffus couldn't afford it, why didn't they make up the difference?  You
try getting them to do so.  They are, shall we say, difficult to deal with.

Enough financial.

Let's drop the puck - I'm gettin' antsy here.  The weather's cooling (at
least in Ithaca it is), school is starting, I'm ready.

Larry Weintraub,
Cornell University
Let's Go BIG RED!!!!!

Quote of the Semester:
   "Our program was coming but when we played Cornell our building just
changed.  The Cornell fans brought a lot of their chants and their
tradition to this building.  From then on, our crowd has taken off"

                --Michigan Hockey Coach Red Berenson