From:
Sid Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 1992 15:13:40 EST
Mike..your idea would make sense. Clearly, RPI did not regain control of the
puck after Kummu went down. That would also explain why Murphy stopped play
so suddenly when the SLU player fell to his knees; SLU had the puck at that
instant. Thanks for clearing it up. In regards to the "at least they're all
div. 1 teams" comment...I think fans at the RPI Invitational have been
disappointed with the scheduling of teams such as Miami, Ferris State,
and US International in recent years. Of course, these are all Division 1
teams, but according to Warren Lutes, Director of the tournament, the  purpose
of the tourney has been to provide fans with an opportunity to watch the
top teams in the nation that might not otherwise appear on RPI's schedule.
This idea has not always received strong support, but it's nice to see
the RPI athletic department making more of an effort to schedule competitive
teams. Obviously, Union is a 'cross-town' rival and will usually draw pretty
well, and it's disappointing to hear they will not be in the tournament next
year. And next year's field sounds very competitive...if RPI next season is
anything like they are now, they are almost guaranteed a 4th place finish.
However, I'm all in favor of inviting teams like Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan
State, or Boston University; my hope is that in future years they will realize
quality hockey, no matter who wins the tournament, will attract more fans.

-Sid