From:
Kevin Coty <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin Coty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 14:42:15 -0500
Glenn Auerbach wrote:

        <stuff deleted>

>      Harold Schock (michigan) was
>     given a major for hitting from behind.

        <more stuff deleted>

I was watching the game on Prime and they had a mic on the officials.
While Piotrowski (sp?) was explaining the call to the captains I heard him
say that a major and game misconduct for checking from behind was a rule
change for this year.  My question is, why is the penalty so severe?  I
realize that checking from behind is VERY dangerous and as a USA Hockey
official, I very rarely let a checking-from -behind penalty go uncalled.  I
know that USA Hockey is trying to crack down on the checking from behind
penalties.  Could it be that the NC$$ is trying to do the same thing?  Is
this their way of trying to get the players to think twice about hitting
from behind because of the severity of the penalty?

BTW, I thought the mic on the officals was a great idea.  How long have
they been doing this?  It's nice to hear the explination ( or is some cases
justification) of a questionable call or for that matter, any
call/non-call.

Another seasoned "lurker"
Kevin Coty

Kevin Coty                                              "Earth, go figure"
Molecular Genetics Dept                                --John Lithgow
The Ohio State University
Columbus, OH 43210                                           (614) 688-4227
[log in to unmask]                                          FAX  (614) 292-4466