From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 1996 23:02:40 -0500
I apologize Bill, Wayne and anyone else offended for continuing this thread,
but I feel there are several issues which need to be addressed, and some
which are long overdue.  My comments are somewhat long, but I hope everyone
takes the time to read them.

Those of you who do not know, I am the Administrator of HOCKEY-L's sister
list INFO-HOCKEY-L, and I also work with the uscollegehockey.com people, so
I am central to this issue.

There has been a decline in the lists.  It bothers me a great deal, because
Bill Fenwick and I were hand picked by Mike Machnik and Wayne Smith to
continue a tradition they started with these lists.  In some ways, I can't
help but think that I am failing in my duties.

The problem isn't with the websites however, it's from within.

While some of HOCKEY-L's most prolific posters are working at
uscollegehockey.com, most of them still post to the lists.  Mike Machnik
continues to post Merrimack recaps to INFO-HOCKEY-L, as well as discuss
issues on HOCKEY-L.  Jayson Moy continues to do RPI (it's easier for me)
recaps, and I continue to post my Maine recaps.  Everyone on
uscollegehockey.com still follows the lists.

Likewise we all know of Steve Klein and Jon Barkan.  These USA Today guys
post pretty frequently to the lists, and are among the most informed people
available.  People should take more advantage of what HOCKEY-L offers,
mainly a large, diverse group of experts.

The websites shouldn't detract from HOCKEY-L, but only increase the traffic
on HOCKEY-L.  What do I mean?  What stops someone from discussing issues
brought up by the sites?  Offering various opinions based on those cast by
the websites?  Nothing.  Information on these websites contain great
discussion material.  No you can't reprint what's written on these sites,
but certainly if you can address what was covered.

The real problem that HOCKEY-L has right now is a shrinking level of
professionalism and objectivity, and is moving ever closer to a "newsgroup"
type of forum.  Far too often people's views are met with personal attacks,
putdowns and rumors.  People simply are scared to post messages because they
might get attacked.  In many ways, the days where people had informed
discussion based on facts, and when rumors were cleared up not continued
seem to be behind us.

It's happened to me a great number of times, simply because I am a Maine fan
with no regards to the fact I am generally one of the most objective people
on this list.  It's even happened recently to Mike Machnik, perhaps the most
objective person, where people have attacked him.. even after all he's done
for the lists.  I know of others who have simply got tired of it all and
left the lists all together, and other long time posters who refuse to post
all together.  Something is wrong when the most even-handed people are being
personally assulted.

What does it all mean?  It means to improve the lists, we all have to look
within.  We can't blame the websites, or people who may have graduated or
moved somewhere else.  The lists contain hundreds of people from all over
the world, many of whom are more than capable of putting forth very good
posts and providing excellent game recaps.  HOCKEY-L has always been a tight
group, and as such we must take care of our own.  We need to encourage
objectivity, and presenting quality discussion and frown gravely upon those
who take this to a personal level.  Every one of us is responsible for
turning things around, everyone.

This is my third year on the lists.  I've grown a lot in those years, there
are tons of people here who have given me a lot, not to mention the many
friendships that have been formed from the lists.  I've also learned more
about hockey through these lists than in any other one place.  It took,
what, seven or eight years to get the lists to where they are now.  I'm
going to do my part because the lists aren't going to go down on my watch.

We recognize what needs to be done, now we all just have to step it up and
take care of business.

Warm Regards,

Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]
Co-Owner of the College Hockey Lists