From:
MR ADAM C WODON <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MR ADAM C WODON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 1996 23:35:24 EST
-- [ From: Adam Wodon * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

More notes on the ECAC Tournament, with some references to other's
thoughts:

** No one knows one way or the other, but Jason Elliott may have the
ECAC tournament record for longest shutout string ... 102 minutes, 36
seconds.  I think I jinxed him by telling everyone in the world that he
must be close after the Clarkson shutout. The ECAC stats historians
could not confirm one way or another.  There have no goalies with 2
straight shutouts, but the time could roll into the next game and/or
previous game longer than Elliott.
   We had figured if Elliott broke 120 minutes, he'd probably
definitely have it, but he only went 36 seconds into the Harvard game.

** For everyone saying how Cornell fans were the best there, I say,
nice of you to finally notice <G>.  Their display was simply typical of
Lynah. Their chants are sometimes into the "vulgar" category, however
there's always the touch of creativity and cleverness to it that makes
you have to laugh.
    UVM fans outnumbered the others combined, I think, and they ARE
loud -- but they don't have that same organized, creative chanting that
comes from the Cornell students. Geoff mentioned some of them, and
there were others, but they are typical.  I'm used to it, but I still
love it.

** It looks like Lake Placid got more people than the Fleet Center.
That is great, I think, for all the flak Lake Placid takes from some
quarters.  Maybe it was just because all those Providence fans were too
busy enjoying all that culture back in their home town <VBG>.

** I, too, enjoyed Coach Schafer's Hockey-L references. He's the only
coach I've seen actually post a note (about two refs), though he swears
he won't do it again.  I know he's a little embarassed about all the
praise he's getting (especially the fans' "Thank You Schafer" chant)
but he must have a lot of pride too, knowing that his thoughts and
ideas about how to re-invigorate the program are working.
   And the rest of the league should be aware, that he did this without
the benefit of having recruited any of those players, as opposed to Dan
Fridgen, who had (not to take anything away from Fridgen).  Just wait
until Schafer, who was at least partially responsible for recruiting
Kent Manderville, Ryan Hughes and Dan Ratushney, among others, get his
hands on some recruits.

** Watching 200 UVM fans march down Main St. chanting "Go Cats Go" on
Saturday morning was a treat.  That wouldn't happen anywhere else and
is just one of the reasons why Lake Placid is great.

** About as rare as a full eclipse, Cornell fans coming in for their
game, were chanting "Let's Go Harvard" , hoping the Crimson knocked out
Vermont on Friday.  Little did they know that a Vermont win was
actually way more beneficial, in general, though it turned out moot
with the Cornell win Saturday.
   That scene of Clarkson and Cornell fans toward the end of the first
game Friday was fun.  Vermont fans were trying to get their team going,
and they were loud.  Meanwhile, Clarkson's band started going, then
Cornell fans began to get into it, chanting niceties at Clarkson and
Vermont fans.  That's what it's all about.

** I won't comment directly on the officiating, but someone tell how
they decide who refs the big games. With Noeth and Ammian there, there
was predictable results, except for the first game (Vermont-Harvard),
which was actually pretty good for a change.

** As Geoff said, Martin St. Louis was clearly the best skater at the
tournament.  He was a treat to watch.  We joked that St. Louis could
win the Hobey Baker after not even winning League Player of the Year,
though it doesn't look like that will happen either.

** Overall, it was just another fun time, seeing great hockey and
hanging out with great people.  I like re-uniting with everyone you
meet throughout the year and meeting new people.
   Apologies to Hockey-L people I didn't get a chance to track down.

  Looking forward to Albany.

AW