From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 1991 16:25:13 EST
Carol writes:
>Melanie writes:
>>Just wanted to let anyone who cares know that we are 'importing' referee Buzz
>>Christiansen for this weekend series. There has been concern in the past of
>>'home' state referees, and AD Ron Petro wants there to be less  games by local
>>referees. He is hoping to have guest refs in all but about two or three series
>
>I have a few things to say about this.
>
>1.  Maybe you could keep Buzz for the rest of the season up there?? please?
>2.  Your AD is going to regret 'importing' this ref, he's the WORST in our
>    league.
>3.  I would take a 'home-town' ref OVER Buzz ANY DAY OF THE WEEK!!!!

I have to wonder why things like this keep happening.  As I recall, last year
Mike Machnik posted something to the list about how some Hockey East higher-
ups were trying to convince ECAC linchpin Pierre Belanger to become a referee
in HE (sadly, they failed).  Don't these people realize that if a referee is
well-known, it's often NOT because his officiating is particularly sterling??

Let's set up an exchange program.  Maybe Alaska could export these "home-
town" refs in exchange for Buzz, Pierre, Medo, and the list goes on...
--
Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and probably '94