From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 1991 01:26:15 CDT
In Monday's (Madison) Capital Times newspaper, Sports Editor Mike
Lucas' column was headlined "Sauer's new aide taks his chances."

Unlike what was reported here (from a New Hampshire paper), the column
reported that Lassonde is taking a chance with the move to Wisconsin:

	"But the hockey reasons were telling me to take it," he
	said, adding that imminent NCAA legislation, reducing
	the size of coaching staffs, didn't influence his
	decision one way or the other.  "I understand what all
	the rules and regulations are concerning coaching
	limitations and so on and so forth. But I'm willing to
	take the chance that somehow things will work out."

The article went on to tell an interesting story about Lassonde
and his college goaltending career:

	...attended Providence College on an academic, not
	athletic, scholarship. He played intramural hockey as a
	freshman. The following year, though, he colunteered his
	services to head coach Lou Lamoriello, who happened to
	looking for a third goalie, an emergency backup, just in
	case something might happen to either Chris Terreri or
	Mario Prouix.
	    "I had two pretty good guys playing in front of me,"
	Lassonde deadpanned.
	    Prouix and Terreri turned out to be the winningest
	goalies in Friar history.
	    "I was explained my role when I made the team," said
	Lassonde, laughing. "The goalie coach told me that the
	only way I would ever play is if I broke the other two
	guys legs. But I was willing to accept that just for the
	opportunity to learn more about the game. They treated
	me first class, so I could live with the fact that I
	wasn't playing."
	    And since he had such a good attitude, Lamoriello
	rewarded Lassonde with his first and only career start
	and appearance.
	    He beat Lowell, 5-3.

The rest of the article covers his previous coaching jobs, what he will
do with Wisconsin (recruiting), etc.

	--david