From:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 1995 09:08:40 EST
I don't know what was Tony's vantage point for making the comment

> Federenko drew a major
> penalty (Or more correctly, the fans called a major) and the momentum
> seemed to be headed back to Tech at 08:38 of the third.

The ref's call penalties, not the fans.  This weekend, the ref's did
nothing to help MTU, I guarantee you.  On this particular call, the
ref was standing right there. The incident occur along the mid ice
boards at the Tech bench. Jeff Mikesch clearly had his back to Federenko
and was essentially out of the play. Brad Federenko took a cheap shot.
Jeff went to the ice and stayed there for several minutes. The ref
immediately called the play and penalty. Then after a conference with
the other officials, assigned the five minute major. It is true that fans
were upset. This kind of shot that was taken could have been career ending.
Since Jeff returned later in the game, we hope that no permanent injury
sustained. I feel that Federenko deserved the penalty but it is not my
opinion that the fans called it.

Walt Olson
MTU