Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 1991 12:24:57 -0400
 Last evening "Sherwood Sports" beat "Momentum Graphics" 11-8 in the
 Minneapolis summer hockey league championship game. It was a close game until
 about the last five minutes of the third period.

 Erik, his wife Paula and I enjoyed the game immensely. We began cheering for
 the Momentum Graphics team as they had several Gopher players on their team
 (John Brill, Joe Dziedzic, Tom Newman, and Mark Bahr). However it soon became
 obvious that the Sherwood Sports team NEEDED us to cheer for them MORE.
 While the MG's had 18 players last night, the SS's had ONLY ELEVEN players!!!
 And that's counting the goalie!!!  Neither team had a back-up goaltender and
 during the last minute of play, the MG's goalie actually left the game! This
 was after the SS's had scored their 10th goal and seemed sure of winning the
 game. I guess he'd HAD ENOUGH.  *:-)

 What a great effort by the "Fighting Sherwoods" as we called them. They scored
 two shorthanded goals and had a pretty good effort from their goaltender. These
  games do tend to be high scoring games. Although I have NEVER seen a FOUR ON
 NOTHING breakaway where a team failed to score, but it happened last night! The
  Sherwoods had a great chance but fouled up the opportunity.

 I also kept telling Erik and Paula that there have been some really big
 fights between the different players and last night we got to see one of those
 also.  Joe Dziedzic took exception to one of the Sherwoods and they were having
  a good old time rolling around on the ice for a few minutes.  Both were sent
 to an early shower!

 The  summer league games are held at Augsburg College Ice Arena where the St
 Paul Vulcans play also.  The arena is about 1/4 of a mile from the west bank
 on the Minneapolis campus. General Admission tickets are $2 and students get in
  for $1.  The "All-Star" game is this Monday evening.  A great chance to see
 some pseudo-pond hockey. The games are real wide-open affairs with very little
 hard-checking.  Fabulous on a HOT HOT Minnesota summer night.

 Have a great weekend all!
 Carol
 U of M