From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jul 1994 08:49:00 EDT
From THE ANN ARBOR NEWS's article on the Millie Schembechler
Memorial golf outing:

  U-M hockey coach Red Berenson, carrying a well chewed cigar
  that was only slightly shorter than a hockey stick, was smiling
  despite playing a so-so round he described as "making goalkeepers
  on the greens totally unnecessary because the holes were
  completely safe."  Asked about the grin, he explained that he had
  just been asked to autograph a golf ball.  "That's a first for me," he
  said.  "I've signed a lot of different things, but nobody has ever
  wanted me to put my name on a golf ball before."

OK...I apologize for the lack of hockey content, but you cannot
truly appreciate Coach Berenson unless you've seen him with
one of his cigars.  Seeing him shuffling down the street on a
bitter cold day in Sault Ste Marie with a stocking cap pulled over
his ears, both hands in his pockets and a big cigar traveling in
front of him is how I'll always picture him.

  John H
  U Mich