From:
Howard Quimby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Howard Quimby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 1994 10:21:55 EST
I keep reading posts saying that UMaine is being punished/penalized for being
open and forthcoming about their violations.  Many don't seem to understand how
Maine could be so honest about their mistakes and only have the NC$$ and
Hockey East turn around and slap them in return.  Well, I personally don't
buy the "We told you--now be nice to us" argument.  The rules were broken and
Maine got caught.  Period.  You don't get points for breaking the rules, you
get points for playing by the rules.

It's been one thing after another all season with Maine.  First Ingraham,
then Tory, then Walsh himself, now Tardif.  Where does it end?  I applaud the
Hockey East decision to ban Maine from the Tournament and allow at least one
series this year to be decided on the ice and not in an afternoon conference
call.  The winning team deserves to hold the cup high and skate around the
Garden in a moment of glory.  It's not the same to get a call in two months
saying, "Congratulations!  Maine broke some more rules.  YOU'RE the winner now."
We've had too much of that this season.

Maine fans are confident they will win the Hockey East Tournament if they are
allowed to participate.  They should be equally confident that the NC$$ would
not overlook such a strong team for the National Tourney, regardless of the
decsions made by Hockey East.  Especially if Hockey East decided to ban Maine
only because the rest of the league was afraid of them....

I think Maine should take this time and make good use of it.  Get your sh*t
together and come back next year ready to play.  Or do we await a court ruling
telling us to now call Coach Walsh, "Tonya" ?

 Howard M. Quimby   D/471                                [log in to unmask]
 GD - Electric Boat Division                             [log in to unmask]
 75 Eastern Point Road                                   [log in to unmask]
 Groton, CT  06340                                       (203) 433-3465