From:
Jeff Bacon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Bacon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 1994 17:35:00 CST
I definitely agree with Coach Walsh as well on the coincidental minor rule.  As
Bill Howard (Badger goalie coach and WIBA color commentator) always points out,
many times in a free flowing game players will have to sit 5 or 6 minutes
on 2 minute coincidental minors, because they don't get a whistle after the
penalties are up.  This screws up line assignments and matchups as well as
unfairly penalizing the players.  And of course 4 on 4 and 3 on 3 situations
are more exciting to watch.

I have to disagree on the shootout, though.  Maybe I am just a purist, but I
really think shootouts cheapen the game.  To me there is nothing more exciting
than sudden death overtime.  Lengthen the overtime period, if anything.  I
doubt any of the Maine or BU fans would say that the 0-0 tie wasn't an exciting
game.  Here are two goalies who have battled for 60 minutes plus sudden death
OT for shutouts, and now one has to take a loss based on a bunch of penalty
shots?  Yech.

-Jeff Bacon                            "A great day for hockey."  -Bob Johnson
 University of Wisconsin