Sender:
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 90 14:48:30 EST
 FROM THE STAR TRIBUNE: AN ARTICLE BY JOHN GILBERT JJJ JJJJJJ JJJJJ JJJJJ JJJJ

 GOPHERS NO. 1 IN COLLEGE HOCKEY POLLS

 Losing a lead with two seconds remaining and settling for a 4-4 tie might have
 left an empty feeling with the Gophers hockey team Saturday night. But
 Monday's news was considerably brighter: The Gophers are ranked No. 1 in the
 nation in all three major polls.

 "All it does is make you a bigger target," coach Doug Woog said. "And we were
 big enough targets already." The top three hockey polls are conducted by WMEB
 radio in Orono, Maine, using media representatives and scouts; by the Albany
 Times-Union in Albany, New York, which uses some coaches and media
 representatives, and by WMPL radio in Hancock, Michigan which polls coaches.

 All three polls last week had Northern Michigan No. 1, Lake Superior State No.
 2, and the Gophers No. 3. But the Gophers beat Northern 5-3 on Friday before
 Saturday's tie, while Lake Superior split with Michigan. In the WMEB poll, the
 Gophers (9-0-2) got 13 of the 14 first-place votes and 209 points. Lake
 Superior (9-2-1) was No. 2 with 186 points and the other first-place vote.

 Of the Albany Times-Union's 24 first-place votes, 19 went to the Gophers (239
 points). No. 2 was Northern Michigan with three first-place votes and 205
 points, while No. 3 Lake Superior had two firsts and 197 points.

 The WMPL poll of 10 coaches has the Gophers with seven first-place votes and
 97 points, Lake Superior State second with two firsts and 79 points and
 Northern Michigan third.

 The Gophers will try to remain undefeated as they face Michigan Tech on Friday
 and Saturday at Mariucci Arena. The only other unbeaten teams in the rankings
 are Clarkson (7-0-1) and Cornell (4-0-1).

 Being No. 1 seemed to have little impact on the Gophers yesterday. They were
 unaware of it when Woog gathered them before practice. "It didn't have much
 effect on us," Woog said. "I just got through telling our players we had to
 improve on three different areas -- the first was a more responsible checking
 scheme so we don't get three guys caught, the second is to improve the impact
 of our fourth line and the third is faceoffs."

 If the No. 1 team has all that work to do, what about the rest? "Maybe they've
 got longer lists." Woog said. "As for our tie with Northern, it was
 disappointing so late in the game, but it was not a negative or anything to be
 mad about. I don't anticipate any letdown against Michigan Tech. They've had a
 coaching change and they seem to be refreshed, and now they've got some
 credibility."

 Tech split with North Dakota two weeks ago and gained more credibility by sweep
 ing St. Cloud State this weekend.

 ******** The complete polls were posted in an earlier note.  I especially liked
  John's article because it explained the polls.  I will still be interested to
 see the official NCAA Division I poll when it finally starts.

 Since the mail seems to be held up somewhere this week, I'll say this now:
 Have a Happy Turkey Day!!
 Carol White
 U of M
 GO Gophers!!!