From:
Adam Bryant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Bryant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 1994 13:05:31 -0500
From today's (02/04/1994) Boston Globe.

College Notebook, by Bob Monahan (Globe Staff)

  The Hockey East standings will undergo a major shakeup Monday
morning following a conference call among the league's athletic
directors.  The team to feel it most will be Maine, currently tied for
fourth place with New Hampshire entering meetings with UNH tonight and
tomorrow in Orono.

  Maine's first three games the year were against Providence.  The
Black Bears won all three, but they used an ineligible player.  Maine
must forfeit the three wins and six points.

  Merrimack AD Bob BeGregorio, the acting Hockey East commissioner,
said "When we talk Monday, we'll make one of two decisions.  First,
Maine forfeits and Providence gets the six points, or second, Maine
forfeits and Providence does not get the six points.  It looks like
the latter to me."

  It's believed that Providence AD John Marinatto does not want any
points his team hasn't earned even though they could put the Friars in
position to gain home ice for the first round of the playoffs.  If the
points are not awarded to PC, UMass-Lowell, Northeastern and New
Hampshire would have an easier time gaining home ice.

--- end of article ---

Well, looks like we will know for sure on Monday morning.  The loss of
six points by Maine looks to be definite now, and this will drop Maine
quite a bit in the Hockey East rankings.

In another note in the same "column", it looks as though in TWO WEEKS
public the results of a feasibility study on the building of "an
all-purpose facility in Lowell (which would include a hockey rink for
UMass-Lowell)" will be released.  The study was financed by the Lowell
Plan (?), Umass-Lowell and the city of Lowell.

After visiting Lowell's current rink this week, I'd hope that they
decide in favor of it.  The main reason being that the rink IS NOT on
the campus, resulting in the students having to ride shuttle buses to
attend the games.  It really isn't that bad of a facility, expect for
it taking about 20+ minutes to get into or out of the place due to the
poor road connections.

adam