From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 1994 00:49:04 -0500
Jim Teresco writes:
>Because of an NCAA rule change, Union College will be able to play a
>28-game schedule starting next season.  Union was restricted to a
>25-game schedule under the old rule.  Since Ice Hockey is the only
>Division I sport at Union, the rest being Division III, Union had to
>adhere to the 25-game limit for Division III schools.

I thought I remembered when this came up a few years ago, when Union
was considering making the jump to the ECAC, that it was actually the
decision of the administration at Union to restrict the team to 25
games in order to preserve the DivIII restrictions (which weren't
necessary anymore since the program was moving up).  There are many
other DivIII schools whose only DivI sport is hockey and who did not
have to abide by the 25-game DivIII restriction - some have been in
DivI for a long time like RPI and SLU, but others like SCSU just
jumped up a few years ago, so I'm not sure that the answer is that the
older teams were grandfathered.  Either way, it is nice to see that
Union will be able to play closer to the same number of overall games
as its other ECAC opponents.
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93
<<<<<< Color Voice of the (9-10-2) Merrimack Warriors WCCM 800 AM >>>>>