From:
Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 1994 10:42:47 EST
Jim Teresco ably summarized the Saturday game.  But I will add some
observations.

Officiating: Bizarre.  I couldn't figure out what kind of game Murphy and Kelly
were trying to call.  They started out the game and called two quick touchy-
feely penalties.  Then they swallowed their whistles for the rest of the
period.  Same thing in the second.  Several non-calls, most notably the double
mugging of Ron Pasco; could have sparked a repeat of the Lowell main event.
Buddy must have emphasized to the Engineers that he would not tolerate any
retaliation.

Brad Layzell: Absolutely outstanding.  Best game I've seen him play.  He
repeatedly made heads up defensive plays, and his offense probably won the
game.  In the third period he skated the puck through center ice and into the
offensive zone on a 1 on 1.  Waiting until the last second, he dishes off with
a through the legs pass to Xavier Majic on the left wing, and then fakes the
shot while taking the defensemen out of the play.  Majic, all alone, easily
beats Gallant for RPI's third goal.  This play was highlight material.

Richardson: Seems to be the latest RPI player to become the designated scorer.
Both goals on Saturday night were highly skilled affairs.  His first at 8:41
of the second came when he gained control of the puck and watched the two Union
defensemen take each other out of the play.  Big goal.  RPI finally scores, and
as all RPI fans know, when they don't score before the mid-point of the second
period...His second goal was the game winner, a rocket that needled its way
just inside the post.  Actually a stunner, since he shot from well outside the
glove side of Gallant.  May come to represent the turning point for RPI's up
and down season since it was the first time the Engineers have managed to pull
out a victory with a late goal.

The phantom goal: At 4:02 of the second the ref whistled off the apparent first
RPI goal.  From my vantage point in Section 6 I had the definitive angle.  It
definitely went in.  Also the puck did not come straight out, but came out at
an angle, so it could not have hit the post.  Would have made for a lot of
whining had RPI come out on the short side of the score.  Jason, what was your
perspective?

The RPI diggers: Are there any?  Probably shouldn't post this, since it's a
nice scouting report for the rest of the ECAC, but the Engineers' play in the
corners needs a lot of improvement.  Perhaps its because of their size, but
when their wingers or D's go into the corners, they rarely come out with the
puck.  They seem to be intimidated when they go in, unable to really mix it up
and work the puck free.  Probably the reason all the RPI scores are of the
highly skilled, maximum effort variety--dumping the puck into the corners never
results in an offensive opportunity.

Overall the picture is brighter for the Engineers.  Hopefully they've figured
out how to beat the teams they're supposed to beat, which means they should
continue their rise up the ECAC standings.  This week only one game, Yale,
which seems to be headed for the cellar.
                    _
            "NYS   // Hockey"
        Go 'Gate  //   Brian Morris
          Go RPI //      Albany, NY