From:
Arthur Mintz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Arthur Mintz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 1994 21:24:16 -0500
Whatever the record used to be for goals scored in one game by a
defenseman, it wasn't three.

Rummaging around in the pile of stuff that masquerades in my library, I
discovered the 1989-90 Division I College Hockey Record Manual, which Drew
Finnie researched and edited. Under NCAA Division I records, it lists the
record for most goals in a game by a defenseman as 5, by Myles Lane of
Dartmouth against MIT during the 1927-28 season. Dartmouth's media guide
concurs. And if you want to argue that Lane's feat precedes the
establishment of the NCAA, which didn't hold a Division I championship
tournament until 1948, the ECAC guide credits Cornell defenseman Pete
Schier (actually Shier; remember this is the same ECAC guide that has C. J.
Young as the single game penalty minute leader with 3, which is not only
absurdly low, but impossible) with scoring 4 goals against Northeastern on
2/25/78, and Providence's Ron Wilson with doing it 4 times between 1973 and
1977.

Oh, for the days when a Cornell defenseman could score four goals in one
game! There is a very good chance that collectively, ALL of Cornell's
defensemen will not score four goals this entire SEASON. After 12 games,
Cornell's entire defense has tallied exactly once.