From:
Greg Sorenson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 1994 13:53:26 CST
It's been beaten into the ground, but I can't resist. Russell Jaslow writes,

>Proposal 120
>Would allow basketball players to make themselves available for the NBA
>draft and then have 30 days to decide whether to turn pro or remain in
>school.  [What's that?  I've been selected by Denver?  Well, I guess I can
>stay at Hoops U. with my full ride scholarship, $20,000 pocket money, new
>car and condo in the 'burbs for ONE more year.]

>Okay!  Finally, I decent rule.  Why not?!  Athletes in most other sports have
>been enjoying this sort of freedom for eons.  Baseball and especially hockey
>(we should know!) have been like this.  Why should the other sports have
>special privilages to keep their athletes "enslaved" to their school just
>because they make a lot of money for the school.  They should have the right
>to try out the draft and return to school to play just like most of the other
>athletes in other sports do.

My take on how the proposal *should* read: ALL Basketball players should
be eligible for the NBA draft immediately upon finising high school, just as
in baseball and hockey. It shouldn't be a question of the players deciding to
 make themselves eligible. In addition, once a player is drafted, he should
 have the option of signing at any time, just as in hockey.