From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 91 00:03:03 EST
Doug DeAngelis writes:
>It strikes me that if the NCAA seeds were done now by Keith's computer
>rating, the ECAC would likely be very disappointed.  The top 5 HE teams
>are ranked in front of the first ECAC team.  Of course we have to wait
>and see how the NCAA pollsters feel, but would anyone like to venture
>a reasonable explanation why there couldn't be, say, 4 HE teams in the
>tournament this year?  I've heard "politics", but are there any *good*
>reasons?

Since the pollsters are likely to come up with a list pretty similar to the
computer rating, the only *good* reason why there wouldn't be four Hockey
East teams in the NCAAs would be if some team other than Clarkson wins the
ECAC tournament.  That team would then get the automatic bid, and it's
highly unlikely that the selection committee would shut the Golden Knights
out, what with their regular season title (regardless of how weak the league
is, it's probably a little difficult to ignore the regular season champ when
you have a 12-team field) and their 5-2 record against non-ECAC Division I
competition.  This includes wins over possible NCAA bid contenders BU and
New Hampshire (the losses were to BC and Maine).  Probably the only thing
that could really damage Clarkson's chances for an NCAA bid would be a
tremendous el foldo in the ECAC quarterfinals.  The selection committee
isn't supposed to weigh postseason games any heavier than regular season
action, but since the ECAC was so weak this year (yes, even *moi* has to
admit that), missing the semifinals might be enough to drop the Golden
Knights from at-large bid consideration.  This is an unlikely scenario,
though.

If Clarkson does pick up the ECAC tournament championship, then Hockey East
will likely send everyone and his brother to the NCAAs, while the Golden
Knights will be the ECAC's sole representative (with the independent bid
coming from the East, as usual).  Even if the ECAC does wind up sending two
teams to the NCAAs, it's unlikely that either of them will get a first-round
bye.

Speaking of the independents, does anyone have more information on the first
Independent Hockey Tournament, which is slated to take place on March 9th
and 10th and will be hosted by Alaska-Anchorage?  The tournament will also
involve Alaska-Fairbanks, Alabama-Huntsville, and Notre Dame, and is geared
toward "helping" the NCAA pick the team for the independent bid.

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86
LET'S GO RED!!

"I want to know one thing about those wanted posters in the post office:  why
 didn't they hold onto the guy when they were taking his picture?"
-- Jerry Seinfeld