From:
Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1993 12:27:36 EST
My apologies if this has already been posted.  There has been a problem with
our mailer this morning.

>A report in the local paper, Albany Times Union, stated the rumor that RPI
>has an open invitation to go to Hockey East.

>Thoughts,comments....

I will try to obtain some background on the story.  But I would put the rumor
in the same category as all the rumors regarding re-alignment between Hockey
East and the ECAC.  In fact going back to the nascent days of Hockey East
certain teams were allegedly invited to "join" Hockey East--I remember hearing
that Clarkson and St. Lawrence were at one time actively soliciting Hockey East
membership.  The RPI rumor is interesting only in terms of the context of
recent events in its relationship with other ECAC schools.  I believe Jason
broke the story of RPI being refused permission to participate in the Alaska
tournament last year by the ECAC, supposedly at the behest of the Ivies, since
it would exceed the 30 game maximum.  And thereupon Yale seized the opportunity
and traveled up to the 49th state to participate.  And the other contextual
event is Hockey East's public statement that it was looking to expand after
U Mass Amherst begins play. Geographically RPI represents the best fit for
any ECAC team looking to migrate over to the other Eastern league.

That said, I wouldn't get too excited about RPI jumping ship--unless all the
old ECAC teams are involved.  First I don't think the administration would
like RPI to increase the number of games it plays to that of Hockey East.  Like
the other old ECAC teams, e.g. Colgate, I think RPI is more comfortable with
the Ivies' idea of sports, with competition taking a back seat to the academic
image of the university.  Granted RPI has no problem with scholarships, but the
players admitted have to be willing to accept an extremely rigorous course load
at a university that offers few "gut" courses.  And the university would not
want to apply any additional academic hardship on its players through the
adoption of the expanded Hockey East schedule.

Second, I think RPI feels it has a responsibility to its fellow old ECAC
schools in defining its actions to ensure their mutual benefit.  RPI, St.
Lawrence and Clarkson are all Divison II or III schools for their athletic
programs, with the exception of hockey; Colgate fields a nominal 1-A football
team, and plays Divison 1 basketball (and next year they might even be
competitive!), but size-wise and attitude-wise shares shares the philosophies
of its fellow old ECAC rivals.  An interesting scenario would have the ECAC
establishing an Eastern Division to include the old ECAC teams, and possibly
UVM.  I don't believe Union would ever be interested in joining Hockey East
given the restraints placed on the program by the current administration.
Forming an Eastern Division might also soothe any complaints by the original
Hockey East members, read BC and BU.  As I recall one of the main reasons that
Hockey East was formed was that BU and BC didn't want to travel to the
Adirondacks anymore, and to a lesser extent Central New York, (although they
had no problem flying out to the midwest to play the WCHA.)  A split schedule
with each team playing all other Division teams twice, and the other Division
teams once, might be an acceptable compromise to all.

But, having gazed into my crystal ball, I don't think any of this will happen,
for my first reason, and, finally, a fundamental question--what would RPI gain
by joining Hockey East?  Currently (and historically) RPI has been an Eastern
hockey power.  The Engineers apparently do not have any difficulty in
scheduling games with Hockey East teams, and certainly don't have any problem
in filling the Houston Fieldhouse with screaming fans.  Recruiting-wise I also
doubt that Hockey East membership would make any difference.  HE membership
wouldn't automatically provide a ticket to the Massachusetts pipeline, nor
provide additional access to the Joe Juneau-type of scholar athlete that RPI
prides itself upon.

Having said that, I would add, it would be interesting though...
                    _
            "NYS   // Hockey"
        Go 'Gate  //   Brian Morris
          Go RPI //      Albany, NY