From:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Oct 1993 18:09:14 -0400
Well for those of you who have been waiting, here's the summary

For the Summary and notes on rough stuff, I will try to be as
unbiased as possible.  After that, I will just spew opinions
on the BU team.

Score
USA  8
BU   0

Shots on goal
USA 41
BU  23

I will not post the scoring summary as someone else already did
(Thanks!)

SUMMARY:
        For the first five minutes, BU came out flying.  After playing a
laid-back no-check game on Wed vs. BC, Team USA seemed to be caught off
guard by BU as BU came out of the box with all cylinders pumping.  Pomichter,
Brennan, and Bates all took turns turning various USA defenders as Doug
Friedman hit everything in sight.  For the first five minutes, BU dominated
the tempo and pace of the game, beating USA in all aspects but the scoreboard.
During this stretch, the only USA player who appeared ready was Dunham.
Dunham made a few great saves, stuffing BU players in what looked like a
repeat of his 41 save performance last year at BU.
        USA then managed one goal on a play of good talent vs. bad goaltending
(Both BU goalies seemed a little overwhelmed last night).
        The early part of the game looked bad for Team USA, but the pressing
by BU actually served as a wake-up call for them.  Although there was no more
scoring for another 10 minutes, the game was much more even.  USA began
backchecking religiously as the game went up-and-down with action that was
wonderful to watch.  Many chances for both teams were just broken-up by
great defensive plays.
        Although BU killed the first USA powerplay beautifully, hemming USA
into their own end for almost the entire two minutes, USA adjusted for the
second one, passing much more quickly on their break-outs and scoring their
second goal with about five minutes left in the first.  USA added another
before the period was through.
        The second period was another action-filled up-and-down game with
USA getting one goal and BU getting none.  Although the score for this period
was close, USA was looking stronger.  BU changed goalies and a few other
players about half-way through the period (and game, for that matter) when
Parker called a time-out.
        In the third, BU put more shots on net, but the quality was not as
good.  USA managed to get two more goals during the period, putting BU away.
In the final five minutes, BU seemed to have packed it in, skating through
the motions as USA pumped in two more to make the point.
        Overall, it was a good game with much excitement for BU and USA fans.
USA's defensemen looked shaky, but the backchecking by the forwards, coupled
with good play by Dunham (now with a 2.4 GAA in 7 games with team USA) held
BU at bay.

Three stars of the game:
#3  David Roberts (formerly of U. Michigan)
#2  Mike Dunham (had a .922 save % before this shutout)
#1  Peter Ferraro (leading Team USA in scoring)

ROUGH STUFF:

        There was OBVIOUSLY some bad blood left over from last year between
certain individuals.  I say individuals and not team because many BU players,
and Imes from Maine and team USA, were not involved with any of the extra-
curriculars.
        Essentially, Friedman, Brennan, Jenkins, Lachance, and Pratt for BU
and Ferraro (Maine), Moran (BC), Martin (Maine), and Dunham (Maine) for team
USA were all involved in MUCHO HITTOs as 7 of the 9 (not Brennan or Dunham)
hit each other with extra mustard at any chance they had.  Almost all of the
penalties taken were taken by one of the 7 or by someone doing something to
one of these six (usually in retaliation) during the game.  The highlight of
the evening was the ongoing contest between Friedman and Martin to see who
could put the other one's head through the boards first.
        The reason why I listed Dunham and Brennan up there was because of
one bizarre incident that I must explain as best as I can.  When one "heated
political debate" broke out in front of Dunham at one point (not in the crease
or anything, just near him), Dunham came out of the net and punched Brennan.
Dunham's punch (a good one, I must say) was the only penalty called on the
play.  At the time, it looked like Dunham must have just had some anger left
over from some unknown incident last year, yet, after the game, they hung
around at the center of the ice for a few minutes laughing and joking around.
I just thought it seemed a little odd.
        Most of the altercations that broke out involved one of the seven
listed above.  Overall, though, a very physical game.

NOW FOR THE BIASED STUFF:

I think this was a good game for Team USA because they came in taking it too
lightly, but adjusted nicely.  USA's defense is still in a lot of trouble,
yet if either Snow or Dunham gets hot...

BU is going to be a very physical team this year.  Friedman and Pratt (now
both seniors) are going to set the tone on what is already a very big and
tough team.  The exciting thing is that this BU team combines this toughness
with lots of talent.  BU is loaded this year (not as loaded as Maine was last
year, but heck, who is???).  This is the best looking BU team (talent-wise)
since the '91 team (Amonte, Macheacern (sp?), Tkachuk, Ronan, Tomlinson, Ahola,
Scott Lachance and Dave Sacco).  This team will need to improve, but if/when
they do, they will be tough to beat.
        The only individual who will be hurt by the tough style is (again)
Pomichter.  Last night, he came out flying.  No one on Team USA could keep
up with him, yet he decided halfway through the first to start hitting
instead.  He is big, and he is a tough hitter, but he is one of those players
who can not both hit and score.  Some hit to score, he hits or scores.
        The big problem that I noticed about BU was its play later in the game
in its own end.  The positioning was something almost unseen from a Parker-
coached team.  BU was getting caught with four of its five defenders to one
side of the ice during the third period.  This accounted for 3 of the 4 USA
goals that period.  I am sure that they will work it out and Parker will fix
it, but it was still very disturbing that they even allowed that to happen.

THE FRESHMEN:
        I am impressed.  Before, I liked what BU had coming in, now, I love it.

SHAWN BATES:  He has serious speed (faster than the Olympians, but not Kariya
speed).  He bounced back from getting smacked around by Martin and company and
kept plugging away.  He back-checked nicely (hustling when he had to) and
worked as hard as he could.  The bottom line is that USA had to make some
adjustments to account for him.

BILL PIERCE:  He just looked like he belonged.  He reminds me a lot of
Pandolfo, also of Burlington, in that he has speed, has strength, can pass,
and can play in his own end.  He did not look like a rookie with only two
weeks of practice, he looked good.

CHRIS O'SULLIVAN:  I know he's not a REAL freshman (played four games last
year before breaking his neck), but after 10 months without playing hockey,
he might as well be one.  THIS GUY IS GOOD!  He is a player that I would
say, "If we had had him last year, we probably would have won another game
or two (and looked better against LSSU)."  Known for his hitting game in high
school (Catholic Memorial), he is far from being a goon.  He only hits when
he has to, chosing to place his body between you and the puck in the corner,
then making the play with the steal is his forte.  This guy may be the best
defenseman on BU right now.  He at least is the best "all-around" defenseman.
BU looked better when he was on the ice.  He may be the best of the bunch.

JON COLEMAN:  He looked good for a freshman.  The difference between him and
the previous three is the phrase, "for a freshman."  He clearly has the talent,
but he will have to get experience before he makes an impact.  At times, he
looked like he was worried about where he ought to be.  He was looking around
for help from teammates and the coach, scared that he was going to make a
mistake.  The talent is there, and I feel that in a while he will be a force,
but not yet.  It could be 3 weeks or it could be three months, but it will
happen.  (Hopefully in three weeks).

MIKE GRIER:  He only played half of the game.  He has taken off a few more
pounds, and his speed is not as bad as it was.  He is trying, but he is a
project.  His positioning is good, he knows where to be and when to be there.
The big problem is still the lack of agility.  He is still slightly over 230
and shows it.  Surprisingly, he got beat up a little bit when he first
entered the game.  On his first shift (12 min into the second), he got rocked
twice.  He came back his second shift and used his body a little, but he still
needs work.  I really feel that he will need to lose weight and get beaten-up
a little more before he become a good college player.  Playing North Dakota
next week will be good for him.  He will not make an impact this season, but,
with work, he could be a contributer as soon as next year.

This has been a very long humble opinion of one,

Tony BU'92'93
Ogre (T-minus 7 days and counting)