From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1993 16:55:28 -0500
Thanks Pam...got a question:

>College Hockey USA Coaches' Poll
>--------------------------------
>1.  Lake Superior State (5)              92
>2.  Wisconsin (1)                        80
>3.  Boston University                    77
>4.  Maine (4)                            68

I'm wondering what the deal is with giving 40% of the preseason #1
votes to Maine after everyone they lost.  What is the rationale?  Is
it that they're #1 till they're beaten?  (Then does that mean we
don't need any more polls till April...or that they drop down after
their first loss?)  Or do these voters truly believe that Maine is the
best team in the country for 1993-94?

I sure don't expect everyone to see things the way I do, but I also
find it hard to understand how anyone can look at who all the other
teams are returning and have coming in, and then look at Maine and
rank them above everyone else.  I consider that being realistic, btw,
and I'm not taking a shot at them.  But the CHUSA poll (which I
already had my questions about) looks really silly to have Maine as
high as they do and with a (4) next to their name.

I would also be interested in hearing from any people who disagree
with me, as to why - maybe there are some things I haven't considered.
And since Shawn Walsh will probably post this in the locker room to
inspire his team, let me just say that I fully expect Maine will skate
circles around Merrimack and beat them by twice as many goals as they
did last year. :-)
---
Mike Machnik           [log in to unmask]          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMN* 11/13/93